1. Cut the rib jersey fabric. The length of the rib jersey should match the circumference of your waist (not the garment waist circumference).
For this year’s Halloween (2022) my family and I decided to dress as characters from Harry Potter movies. In this blog post, I’m going to describe how to make the Sybill Trelawney socks/leg warmers that will be part of professor Trelawney’s costume. (Sybill is a fortune-teller and professor at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry).
This part of the costume will be very easy. You have two simple options:
Use high socks
Buying high socks is the easiest solution. Just buy dark brown-grey high socks that you will roll down a little bit.
Sew leg warmers
This was my case as I couldn’t get socks that would suit the required look, therefore I decided to sew leg warmers instead. To sew such leg warmers, pick a brow-grey knit cable knit fabric (see the example below).
1. Cut two rectangles of the cable knit that will have the following dimensions (see the formulas below):
width = calf circumference
length = lower leg length
Do not forget to add seam allowances and hem allowance to the pattern piece.
2. Finish all seam allowances. If you have an overlock machine, you may leave the seam allowances on the long sides unfinished and use the overlock to sew the long sides together and finish them in one step.
3. Pin the rectangle lengthwise (right sides together) and sew. Either use a standard sewing machine or an overlock machine.
In the image below you can see I used an overlock machine to sew the two sides together.
As you are done sewing, you should end up with a long ‘tunnel’. In the image below you can see the inside of the sewn leg warmer.
4. Now you can hem both the top and bottom of the leg warmer. Use a single-fold hem to do so. Fold the fabric evenly on both ends, pin, and sew (see the images below).
Do not forget you need two leg warmers. (In the images below you can see what they look like when finished :). Also, check out the rest of the professor Trelawney costume and accessories. Like the skirt, headband, green tunic or brown sweater.
In the images below you can see the complete professor Trelawney costume and all individual parts of it.