For this year’s (i.e. 2022) Halloween my family and I have decided to dress as various characters from the Harry Potter Movies. One of them will be Luna Lovegood and in this short blog post, I’m going to show you, how to create Luna’s funny glasses called spectrespecs from the Quibbler magazine.
To make Luna’s glasses you will need the following:
- Kraft paper or thin cardboard
- Luna Lovegood glasses template (suitable for children about 10 years old)
- Thin blue and red plastic sheet
You can use coloured plastic exercise book covers for the blue and red lenses as I did. They are cheap and easy to get.
The template for the spectrespecs is based on the one shown on the cover of Quibbler magazine Luna carries around in the Harry Potter movies.
I do not sell the template, it is for free. Please, use it for PERSONAL USE ONLY.
How to make Luna Lovegood glasses?
1. First, download the template below and print it on your home printer.
2. Cut out all pieces of the template: The frame, legs and lens template (see the image below).
3. Carefully transfer all parts of the glasses to the kraft paper/cardboard, except for the lens template, by outlining them with a pencil and cut them out (see the images below).
5. Take circle/lens template, outline it on the blue and red plastic sheets, and cut them out.
At this phase you have all necessary parts of the DIY Luna Lovegood glasses (see the image below).
7. Take the kraft paper frame and glue the coloured plastic lenses to the kraft paper: blue circle – left side, red circle – left right side (see the images below).
8. Glue the coloured and kraft paper legs together and fold them at the black markings (see the images below).
9. Assemble the spectrespecs by attaching the legs/temples to the front frame with glue (see the image below).
9. As the last step, glue the coloured frame to the kraft paper frame covering the edges of the lens and legs (see the image below).
Now, the Luna Lovegood spectrespecs are ready and look nice from both sides (see the images below). To make a complete Luna Lovegood outfit, check out my other DIY costume tutorials: Luna Lovegood skirt, earrings and necklace.